Fruity liver cake recipe for homemade dog treats
This liver cake recipe with a difference, lets you give your dog some healthy, tasty treats that it will love!
The recipe is really quick and easy to make at home, taking about 10 minutes to prepare and another 15 minutes to cook.
These dog treats can be stored in your freezer until you need them and have the added advantage that you know exactly what is in them!
Once made they can be cut into tasty bite size pieces suitable for your dog.
Dog Treat Ingredients:
- 500g Liver (Lamb or Pig liver will be fine)
- 100g Fruit such as Apple, pear or berries
- 2 Crushed garlic cloves
- 2 Eggs
- 300g Wholemeal Flour
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 4.
- Line a medium baking dish with some foil.
- Combine the Liver, fruit, crushed garlic and egg into the food processor or bowl.
- Blend until smooth or until the liver is in very small pieces.
- Add the flour a spoonful at a time.
- Once all the flour has been added, the mixture should be quite sloppy, easily dropping from a spoon but too thick to pour.
- If it is too thick, add some fruit juice, water or milk. If it is too runny, a little more flour.
- Transfer the treat mixture in to the baking tin.
- Bake it for about 15-20 minutes.
- You can check if it is ready by inserting a knife or skewer in the middle, if it comes out clean, it’s done.
Let the cooked treat mixture to cool…away from inquisitive noses!
When they are cool, cut the cooked treat mixture into small cubes or bite size pieces depending on the size of dog treat you prefer!
Lay the treats onto a tray to freeze them so that they don’t stick together. This makes it easier to defrost just a few treats at a time. When they are frozen the finished dog treats can be bagged up or put into boxes in your freezer.
Defrost a few treats at a time as needed.
Please make sure you always use any defrosted treats within 3 days. Mind you, it is unlikely they will remain uneaten for that long!
As you can see, Louie loves these dog treats ….going, going, gone!